By Dorre Speer
Does hearing the term “three’s a trend” ring a bell? If so, what does it exactly does it entail? Trends are all around us, and the same trend often appears in more than one product category. In the fashion industry, if a trend shows up in at least three different product categories, it’s probably going to be a hit! Let’s look at some rising trends.
Taking a look at New York Fashion Week (or NYFW, for those in the know) for Fall/Winter 2016, it is evident that metallic colors such as gold, bronze, copper, and silver are big upcoming trends for the season. Gigi Hadid rocked a metallic gold midi-dress when walking in the Tommy Hilfiger show while skirts, dresses, tops, and pants with a metallic sheen or details were seen in other top designers’ shows such as Alexander McQueen, Dolce & Gabanna, Fendi, Tory Burch, and Saint Laurent. However, this trend isn’t sticking to just apparel! Metallics have been popping up in other product categories such as jewelry, kitchen appliances, cars, nail polish, and in cosmetics as metallic eye shadows and lipsticks.
Fringe was the biggest trend at spring 2016 NYFW and this decorative detail is used on handbags, earrings, shoes, dresses, and jackets by designers like Rebecca Minkoff and Alexander Wang. Fringe is also being seen in home décor like decorative pillows. Tassels are in! We have seen tassel necklaces and earrings but this trend has extended into apparel with sweaters and shorts, tassel sandals and high heels, key chains, and once again, in pillows. When any color or detail shows up on decorative pillows, you KNOW it’s a stinkin’ trend! Studs are also emerging as an embellishment trend and have been found on shoes for fall 2016 including those by COACH and Burberry. Studs are also found in apparel that you can incorporate into your wardrobe such as leather jackets and accessories like handbags and sunglasses.
The ‘back to nature’ trend first consists of neutral colors such as blush or beige that are found in bedding and on blankets, scarves, and sweaters for the upcoming Fall/Winter 2016-2017 season. Raffia fabric is a material that is trending and can be found on beach bags and oversized sun hats. This material made its way to the runways in spring 2016 when it was shown in vests and pants, colored cover-ups, and even a trench coat. It also made its presence as the “wicker” look was seen in a Dolce and Gabanna handbag in Spring 2016, and here we go again….in decorative pillows! (Psst…it’s a trend!) Marble is a natural compound and marble patterns have recently been found in different product categories such as men’s shoes, phone cases, laptop covers, and even party balloons.
Taking all that we now know about trends and how they appear in different areas of our everyday life, take a look at the variety of items that you have been recently interested in. Are they “tending to be trending” and how do they relate to each other?!
- Burton, C. (2015, September 14). Fringe Is The Biggest Trend at NYFW Spring 2016 – See All the Ways You’ll Soon Be Wearing It! Retrieved from http://www.eonline.com/news/695461/fringe-is-the-biggest-trend-at-nyfw-spring-2016-see-all-the-ways-you-ll-soon-be-wearing-it.
- (2016, June 5). Summer 2016 Fashion Trend: Tassels. Retrieved from http://www.collegefashion.net/trends/summer-2016-fashion-trend-tassels/.
- (n.d.). Where to get this nail polish? Retrieved on October 22, 2016 from http://wheretoget.it/look/1585605.
- Najarian, T. (2016, September 22). Fall/ Winter 2016-2017 Fashion Trends. Retrieved from http://www.fashionisers.com/trends/fall-winter-2016-2017-fashion-trends/.
- Najarian, T. (2016, April 4). Fall/Winter 2016-2017 Shoe Trends. Retrieved from http://www.fashionisers.com/trends/fall-winter-2016-2017-shoe-trends/.
- (n.d.). Raffia Beach Bag. Retrieved on October 22, 2016 fromhttps://amazon.com/gp/search?tag=idahoendoflif-20&ie=UTF8&keywords=Raffia+Beach+Bag
- (n.d.). Rainbow Tassel Pillow Cover, 16 X 16, Warm. Retrieved on October 22, 2016 from http://www.pbteen.com/products/1017727/?catalogId=36&sku=1017727&bnrid=3780801&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Google%20Base&kwid=productads-adid%5E137648727520-device%5Ec-plaid%5E132890363608-sku%5E1017727-adType%5EPLA.
- (n.d.). White Marble iPhone 6 Plus Case. Retrieved on October 22, 2016 from https://wanelo.co/p/40168383/white-marble-iphone-6-plus-case-iphone-6-case-stone-texture-phone-case-iphone-5s-case-iphone-5c-case-iphone-4-case